There's a small aquarium in Portobello, Otago which is also in NZ. They usually have an octopus there, but they periodically release and replace them into the adjacent deep ocean so they each all have a chance to breed and live their lives which is pretty cool as they don't live very long, only a few years.There was another story about a worker who know the food he was feeding was a little past its prime. After the first bit he put in, the worker said he swore the octopus looked right at him, took the food and stuck it in the filter intake on the aquarium.Now I'm convinced that it's not the server stealing money at the seafood restaurant I work, but maybe it's an octopus. I mean the server seems like a stand up dude, even through he flails around in his business suit knocking a bunch of stuff over. That and he's gotta lay off the spray tanning because his skin is a weird shade of orange.
I think I read that article too. There was one very telling anecdote about the aquarium that lent support to the notion that octopuses were uncommonly intelligent: All the various sea life in the tanks (barracudas, jellyfish, etc.) had cataloged serial numbers to differentiate them, except for the Octopuses. Each octopus had their own nick name that denoted the attitude and personality the aquarium workers witnessed in them. They all didn't act the same way. The researched didn't name them on purpose either. It just happened organically from spending time with them.I actually learned an awful lot about them on a reddit post.. that linked to another reddit post.. that basically had a guy who owned a saltwater fish tank and had a nasty run in with one that burrowed into a rock he had placed. BURROWED INTO A ROCK. This fucker ate a bunch of his fish and he had a hell of a time killing it. If you're really interested I'd suggest searching reddit posts until you find it! I can try and do some digging through my saved tomorrow if you'd like.
This is why I don't eat octopus. Squid? Sure. Cuttlefish, yeah, if they're on the menu. Octopus? After ready stories and seeing them in person, I believe they are intelligent and sentient to a degree. And that degree is enough to make me think they know what the fuck is going on. That's enough to put them on a level where I don't put them in my mouth.When sharks swim they move water over their gills. The water has oxygen in it and they get to breath. If you stop them from moving they dont get oxygenYes it is. Many cephalopods communicate with each other by rapidly changing their colour. Octopus are not typically that advanced, but they do use it to portray their moods.
Cephalopods are, in part, so cool because their chromatophores are neurally controlled. This means that, for a cuttlefish (for instance) their color and texture can be reconfigured in the blink of an eye, rather than waiting for hormonal diffusion through tissues, etc. Nothing else in the world like it.I like to think the last thing that went through Curator Hewitt's mind, aside from the cameras that captured her shocked reaction, was to wonder how the hell Inky got the best of her.... Not long after his departure, we got a postcard, from Napier, that's where he crossed, right off the beach...that's where Inky crossed....it always makes me laugh...Inky the octopus...headed for the Pacific.
No comments:
Post a Comment